Bus driver jailed for kidnapping a police officer

Judge Mallet; Hammer
Judge Mallet; Hammer

An unlicensed commuter omnibus driver who kidnapped a female police officer after he was instructed to drive to a parking bay has been sentenced to two years in prison.

Mathew Ngirazi (30) of Zengeza 3, Chitungwiza Zimbabwe, pleaded guilty to two counts of driving without a licence and malicious damage to property.

He denied kidnapping Constable Duri.

Ngirazi appeared before Chitungwiza magistrate Mr Lazarus Murendo.

Mr Murendo asked him to pay a fine of $150 for the two counts or spend a month in prison.


He was also slapped with a three-year prison term with a year set aside on condition he does not commit a similar offence for the next five years.

Prosecuting, Mrs Ntombikayise Nleya proved that on September 14 this year, at around 11.30am, Ngirazi was driving a Toyota Hiace along Chitungwiza Road.

On the day in question, Cst Duri ordered Ngirazi to stop at the St Mary’s turn-off.

The court heard that Cst Duri asked Ngirazi to produce his driver’s licence but failed to do so.

This prompted Cst Duri to board the commuter omnibus before ordering Ngirazi to drive to a parking bay.
Ngirazi defied the order and drove off towards Machipisa, Highfield, threatening to kill Cst Duri.

Cst Duri took out her cellphone in attempt to update her workmates on the latest development.

Ngirazi seized the cellphone and smashed it on the tarmac, breaking it into pieces.

In a separate case, a commuter omnibus driver who drove his vehicle against a one-way street has been jailed for two years and banned for life from driving public transport by Harare magistrate Mr Tendai Mahwe.

Lovet Sengu (36) of Highfield, Harare, appeared in court on Tuesday.

Sengu pleaded guilty to reckless driving charges.

Prosecutor Ms Francisca Mukumbiri told the court that on Friday last week Assistant Commissioner Lawrence Njodzi was driving along Robson Manyika Avenue.

He observed Sengu driving a white Toyota Hiace (registration number ACZ 7206) along Orr Street from Robert Mugabe Road to Robson Manyika Avenue.

Sengu turned right into Robson Manyika Avenue.

Asst Comm Njodzi tried to stop Sengu but he fled.

Asst Comm Njodzi recorded the vehicle’s registration number, and was able to identify the owner of the vehicle with the help of the Central Vehicle Registration Department.

Sengu was then arrested.