–Chieftainess Nawaitwika of Namwanga people of Nakonde district in Muchinga Province has sent a message of condolences to all the grieved families of people who died last week in the fatal Chibombo road traffic accident.
Chieftainess Nawaitwika said she was so saddened to receive the news on the death of 51 people who perished in the road accident.
The Chieftainess said this in a telephone interview with the Zambia News and Information Services (ZANIS) in Nakonde today.
“Me and all the people in my chiefdom have received this development with a great shock and deep sorrow,” said Nawaitwika.
She further described the development as a big blow and loss not only to their families but to the nation as a whole.
The traditional leader said the incident is a big tragedy that has affected everyone in the country.
Chieftainess Nawaitwika has also called on all the relatives of the deceased persons to be strong and leave everything in God’s hands.
The Chieftainess has also appealed to the general public to consider mourning the dead in dignity.
Meanwhile, Chieftainess Nawaitwika has appealed to government to consider tightening traffic rules in order to avert road accidents in the country.
The chieftainess said most road accidents happening on the Zambian roads could have been avoided if the people concerned were pro-active in the prevention of road traffic accidents.
A total of 51 people, who were travelling on a Post bus from the Coppe belt to Lusaka, perished in the fatal road traffic accident on Thursday at John Chinene in Chibombo district of Central Province.
Government has since declared a three days of national mourning in honour of the Chibombo victims.
A total of 31 of the victims will be buried at a mass grave that has been prepared at Mitengo in Ndola on the Copperbelt today while others have been buried separately by their relatives in Nakonde, Lusaka and Kabwe.
President Michael Sata is expected on the Copper belt to witness the burial.