Man deserts wife,returned when manhood stopped functioning

Judge Mallet; Hammer
Judge Mallet; Hammer

THE Chelstone Local Court heard how a man deserted his home for eight months, only to return when his manhood stopped functioning.
This is in a case in which Mary Soko 27, a maid of Lusaka’s Vorna Valley sued her husband Frazer Banda 32, a builder for divorce.
Soko told the court that she has been married for 10 years and has never known peace in her marriage because her husband beats her with an iron bar.

“We have two children both boys aged seven and four. Since I got married in 2005, my husband has been beating me. He severely beat me up in 2008 and broke one of my nerves in the head and in 2013, he ripped my upper lip after beating me up. He left home for two weeks leaving me with the children,” Soko told the court.
Soko told the court that in 2014 her husband injured their seven-year-old son after he hit him on his ribs. The defendant was in police custody for five days.

“He beat up our son on November 5, 2014 and I decided to take him to the police where he was arrested and detained for five days. Thereafter when he was released on November 10, 2014, his family decided to take him away and only returned on June 13, 2015,” Soko told the court.

On June 13, 2015, Soko told the court that she discovered her husband’s manhood was not functioning when they tried to have sex.
She told the court that her husband failed to give an explanation to his condition, adding that the behaviour of her husband of insulting her and her parents was getting out of hand, hence her decision to sue for divorce.
In his defence, Banda told the court that their marriage was peaceful until the time that Soko took him to the police over the child.
Banda told the court that he beat up their son because the boy was not telling the truth about his mother’s whereabouts, which angered him.

“I beat up our son because he could not tell the truth of where the mother had gone,” Banda told the court.
Banda confirmed that his manhood is not functioning as it should following his visit to Ndola just after he was release from police custody.

In passing judgement, the court granted divorce on grounds that there was evidence of torture and violence in their marriage, adding that there is also no sex, making it difficult for the marriage to stand.
Senior presiding magistrate Hope Mwila ordered that Banda should pay Soko K8,000 pension in installments with K500 first installments and K300 thereafter until the whole amount is paid.