Girl killed for eating dad’s mice

criminal records, crime, arrest, court
criminal records, crime, arrest, court

POLICE in Chililabombwe have arrested a 31-year-old man for allegedly beating his four-year-old stepdaughter whom he accused of eating his mice to death.
Timothy Chisenga of Chewe Township, near Kasumbalesa border post, allegedly beat his daughter using a stick on May, 5, 2015 as punishment for eating his rodents.
The girl sustained injuries and later died at Kakoso District Hospital, where she was admitted, Copperbelt deputy commissioner of police Byemba Musole confirmed in an interview yesterday.
Mr Musole identified the girl as Veloca Ilunga.
“Yes, I can confirm that we have a man in our custody who beat-up his four-year-old daughter with a stick. The man went home to have dinner, but found that his daughter had eaten the mice he had kept for his nshima.
“As punishment, he whipped the girl with a fresh stick, but unfortunately the young girl died at the hospital,” Mr Musole said.
He said police do not know the degree of injuries the girl suffered, but that they have arrested Mr Chisenga to help with investigations.
And MUBANGA NONDO reports from Ndola that police in Masaiti have arrested a 43-year-old woman of Samfwa farm in the Mukolwe area for allegedly murdering her husband after a dispute.
Copperbelt deputy commissioner of police Byemba Musole said the incident occurred on Wednesday at about 16.00 hours and he named the suspect as Mary Munkuyu, 43, and the deceased as Steven Munkuyu, 48.
“The couple fought and in the process, the suspect allegedly assaulted her husband, who later died at Roan General Hospital where he was admitted,” Mr Musole said.
Munkuyu has been charged with murder and will appear in court soon. The deceased’s body is in Roan General Hospital mortuary, awaiting postmortem.
In Mongu, ELIZABETH CHATUVELA reports that police have shot dead one of four suspected criminals that attempted to steal an electrical water-pump from the residence of Western Province commissioner of police Standwell Lungu.
The suspected thief died as he was being taken to Lewanika General Hospital, where his body is lying.
Mr Lungu, who was on duty in Lukulu on the material day, confirmed the incident in an interview yesterday.
He said the unidentified man, aged between 25 and 30, was shot by a sentry who was manning his house in Boma Township, around 03:20 hours on Wednesday.
He said this was after the suspects, who had gained entry of the premises through a grass perimeter fence, ignored warning shots fired by the sentry.
Mr Lungu said police have launched a manhunt for the three other suspects who escaped.
A water-pump and tools that were used to aid the crime were recovered from the scene.
“We are appealing to members of the public who have lost a relative to check at Lewanika General Hospital mortuary,” Mr Lungu said.