One person has died while four others are admitted to Mukinge Mission hospital in Kasempa district after eating nshima with suspected poisonous cabbage.
The incident happened in Lubofu area yesterday around 10:00 hours.
North Western Province criminal investigation officer Charles Mbita confirmed the incident to ZANIS in Solwezi.
Mr Mbita said the four are suspected to be from the same family.
He identified the deceased as Gilbert Pemba aged 15 and those admitted as Wanu Kilema 14, Emmanuel Mulowa 14, Danny Mabende 17 and Mirriam Mulowa aged 14.
Mr Mbita said the body of the deceased is lying in Mukinge hospital mortuary awaiting post-mortem and police has intensified investigations to establish where the suspected poisonous cabbage was sourced.