COPPERBELT University (CBU) students have called off their class boycott over unpaid meal allowances.
The students called off the class boycott at the weekend after Government paid students part of the allowances.
CBU students last week on Monday protested and staged a class boycott over non-payment of meal allowances by Government.
The class boycott was, however, over-shadowed by the passing on of Republican President Michael Sata, which saw the students mobilise at the infamous monk square where they organised a funeral gathering to mourn the late Head of State.
But Copperbelt University Students Union (COBUSU) president Gerald Chiluba yesterday said normal lessons had resumed after the students started getting part of their meal allowances.
“We have been given part and to be precise half of the amount for meal allowances and so the students have called off the class boycott,” he said.
Mr Chiluba said Government started paying the meal allowances on Friday with the bursaries committee promising to conclude the payment in six weeks.
“Classes have resumed and everything in the campus is now normal and we are optimistic the remaining half of the money for meal allowances will be given to us within six weeks according to what we have been told by the bursaries committee,” Mr Chiluba said.
Times of Zambia