Sichone who described the situation the TP Mazembe trio have found themselves in as sad, told the Sunday Times in an interview in Lusaka yesterday that he had followed the issue with keen interest and advised that there was need to find an amicable way of resolving the matter.
Sichone said the situation had already traumatised the players and appealed to the Immigration Department, Sports Minister Chishimba Kambwili and the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) to forgive the players.
He asked the Immigration Department to just warn the trio and not met out any stiff punishment on them because it could affect their career.
The players had already been punished as it were, and that it served as a warning to others who would want to walk the same path.
He called on FAZ to consider counselling the boys over the dangers of their actions.
“In as much as we know that these boys committed an offence, we should also look at the trauma they are going through right now, hence the need to forgive them.
We should all remember that these boys are our heroes, they were part of the group that brought us honour in 2012 and it will not do us any good if we start prosecuting them,” Sichone said.
He said there was need to also consider investigating the matter more thoroughly before taking any serious steps saying, it was possible that the boys could have been misled by some people to behave in the manner they did and that the players may have been working under instruction from their superiors.
He added that Zambia’s rating on the FIFA rankings had risen after the friendly game with Brazil on Tuesday, news that was supposed to excite the nation.
Kalaba, Sunzu and Sinkala were on Friday nabbed by immigration officers at Kasumbalesa Boarder Post in Chililabombwe when they attempted to leave the country into Lubumbashi.