One person dies from snake bite while collecting mushroom

Banner 3
Banner 3

A Rufunsa resident has died while five others are admitted at Mupashya St Luke Mission hospital in Rufunsa District after they were bitten by poisonous snake in the mountains.

The victims met their fate in the mountains when they went to pick mushroom in the bush and mountains of Rufunsa.

Rufunsa District Commissioner Paul Kasongo disclosed to ZANIS that the deceased was bitten by a poisonous snake in the mountain when he went to gather mushroom with other residents.

Mr. Kasongo explained that mushroom gathering which was a source of income for many Rufunsa residents had cost them their lives especially those who were not familiar with the geography of the area.

He said the deceased died shortly after he was bitten as the snake was very poisonous.

The DC has since appealed to visitors from urban areas who are in the district to pick mushroom to consider either engaging local people to pick for them or carry along residents of Rufunsa who know areas that are safe.

He said the bush especially in the mountains where mushroom is found is infested with very poisonous snake that have in the recent past killed a number of people.

The DC noted that as much as people would want to collect mushroom for themselves in the bush, they should also be mindful that the area is very dangerous.

A mushroom is the fleshy, spore-bearingfruiting body of a fungus, typically produced above ground on soil or on itsfood source.

In Zambia mushroom grows naturally in rainy season and villages make income out of it by selling on the roads to passengers from urban areas