ZESCO delays irk Kalabo residents
Kalabo, September 11,2014, ZANIS………………Over 100 residents of Kalabo have complained over ZESCO’s delay to connect power in some parts of the district.
Speaking on behalf of the affected residents, Luanginga Ward Councillor Luke Katongo explained to ZANIS in an interview that the residents had early last year applied to ZESCO to have their houses electrified but to date nothing had been done to that effect.
Mr Katongo further said that it was unfortunate for the utility company to deprive people of a service even after having paid colossal amounts of money towards the exercise.
He alleged that ZESCO told the affected clients that they had no electricity poles a development he said was just a scapegoat for delaying to connect power.
The affected areas include some part of boma area, Kashitu and Mapa among others.
Government subsidized rural electrification connection fees by K750 and the residents paid K150 for as connection fee.
And ZESCO Kalabo Branch Manager Wamui Mwangombe has dismissed the Councilor’s allegations that ZESCO did not have enough poles.
Mr Mwangombe explained that ZESCO had all the needed materials and was connecting power according to the date a customer made payment adding that the exercise was underway.
He was optimistic that the whole district would be connected before the rain season and that there was no need to panic.
“We are currently working and it is not true that we told our clients that we don’t have poles ,we have all the materials, some people may think we are delaying because we are following the list according to date a client paid, we should be through before rains start,” Mr Mwangombe explained.