Govt. threatens to terminate contract in Vubwi District
Vubwi, January 21,2014, ZANIS — Government has threatened to terminate the contract it entered with a local contractor in Vubwi District.
ZANIS reports that Local Government and Housing Deputy Minister Nicholas Banda confirmed the development this when he toured the several projects being undertaken under his Ministry in Vubwi district over the weekend .
Mr. Banda said the named contractor is behind schedule in constructing the medium low cost houses in the new District. He stated that his works was not impressive saying since November last year when they started the contractor had only dug the foundation.
The Deputy Minister said his office has received reports of delayed works in Vubwi compared to other district that were putting up housing units. Mr. Banda stated that government was in a hurry to complete the houses to avert housing accommodation faced by officers sent to the area.
And Council Secretary Misheck Singambo reviewed that JX international constructing the Chipata/Vubwi road would soon start working on the eight kilometer township roads in the district.
Mr singambo said that once the township roads were done it would help the authority to map up the township area.
Meanwhile, government has commended Vubwi District council for drilling 30 boreholes under the 2013 Constituency Development Funds (CDF) .
Mr Banda said this development would see communities in the area to access clean water in the new district.
He said that government was commitment to improve access to clean and safe drinking water adding that this was evident by the increased allocation of CDF on water and sanitation in the 2014 budget.
Mr. Banda however urged the Local Authority in the area to control illegal allocation of land and settlement in the new district at the early stage as it has remained a challenge countrywide.