Whether it’s the 5km “Bush Hopper”, 22km “Chase” or the 45km “Challenge” – everyone is guaranteed a good time. Rated as a less technical event with free flowing single track through pristine woodland with very little ascent but exciting log bridge crossings, cheered on by local villages en route, the Kasanka Cycle Challenge is an unforgettable experience!
Race Dates: 15 – 17 April
Route Description: Rated as a less technical event with free flowing single track through pristine woodland with very little ascent but exciting log bridge crossings, cheered on by local villagers along the route, this race is considered to be fun and exciting at the same time.
Distances: 45km Challenge, 22km Chase, 3 km Bush-hopper
Terrain is mostly level at roughly 1150m asl
Terrain: Single-track, dirt-roads and Hippo paths in Kasanka National Park and the adjoining local community. The route winds through miombo woodland & dambo’s, with some short rocky drops and ascents along the way. Puku, Duiker, Bushbuck, Baboons and Hippo’s are easily observed along the way and a variety of other game is present en-route. Participants are encouraged to explore the Park during their stay, a sundowner cycle on the evening preceding the event will give us a unique chance to spot some game from the comfort of our bicycles.
Our accommodation is linked to our packages.
Self-Catering Package: Includes staying at the Kasanka Conservation Centre or camping at one of our campsites.
Catering package: Includes staying at one of our lodges or the cycle village.
Proposed Itinerary for the Cycle Challenge 2016
Friday 15 April:
- 08:00 – Truck departs from Lusaka (with lunch and drinks served)
- 13:00 – Check in and registration
- 18:00 – Briefing and dinner at Cycle Village with music and entertainment
Saturday 16 April:
- 06:00 – Bush Hopper arrivals and late registration
- 07:00 – Bush Hopper and Runner Race begin
- 08:00 – The Challenge and The Chase begin
- Games and obstacle courses for the children
- 11:00 – All races complete
- 12:30 – Lunch followed by the Njinge Challenge
- 16:00 – Afternoon drinks and start prizegiving
- Sponsors available to discuss their products
- 18:00 – Dinner and entertainment
Sunday 17 April:
- 07:00 – Breakfast
- 09:00 – End of Challenge
Race fees & catering:
From ZMW 250 pp
From ZMW 660 per unit for 2 nights
Includes: Race fees, 2 dinners, 2
breakfasts,1 lunch / Excludes: Park fees