70-year-old school guard murdered while on duty


CRIMINALS have murdered a 70-year-old security guard at Mutende Primary School in Kitwe’s Kwacha township.
This comes barely a week after robbers killed a 32-year-old security guard at Shungu Primary School in Livingstone and stole 14 computers.
The man identified as Albert Miti was found lying in a pool of blood yesterday morning.
Copperbelt commissioner of police Joyce Kasosa and Mutende Primary School head teacher John Banda confirmed this in separate interviews yesterday.
“I can confirm that a security guard was on Tuesday night murdered by unknown people,” Ms Kasosa said.
And Mr Banda narrated that he received a phone call in the early hours of yesterday that one of the security guards at his school had been killed.
“I rushed to the school and found Mr Miti lying in a pool of blood. We are saddened by his death,” Mr Banda said.
Mr Miti’s daughter, Evelyn, who was found at the scene, described the death of her father as a ‘bitter pill to swallow’.
The visibly-shaken Ms Miti said she could not believe when the news of her father’s death was broken to her.
“I was busy washing clothes when they came to inform us about his death. It is painful to lose him like that. They should have had mercy on us,” she said.
The body is in Kitwe Central Hospital mortuary.
Last week between Tuesday around 18:00 hours and Wednesday 06:50 hours, Gift Kopolo of Maloni township in Livingstone was murdered in similar circumstances at Shungu Primary School.
Southern Province commissioner of police Mary Chikwanda said then that the police would ensure that the suspects are brought to book.
She also ordered police officers to intensify night patrols to prevent crime.
“We will ensure that we investigate and see how we can corner the criminals,” Ms Chikwanda said.
And ELIZABETH CHATUVELA in Mongu reports that a 78-YEAR-OLD woman of Kapulanga township in Kalabo has been burnt to death after her hut caught fire in broad daylight, Western Province commissioner of police Standwell Lungu has said.
Mr Lungu said the incident happened on Tuesday around 15:00 hours in Kapulanga township.
“The fire spread to four other grass-thatched houses and destroyed property but the cause of the fire remains unknown,” Mr Lungu said.
He, however, said police do not suspect foul play.
Meanwhile, a 54-year-old man who was shot and wounded by masked bandits is still admitted to Lewanika General Hospital and surgeons are yet to remove the bullet from his right hip.
Gift Sitali said from his hospital bed that he is in pain
Mr Sitali’s wife Harriet Mwiya, 43, said the incident has left her and her nine children traumatised.



  1. They should stop employing old people as security guards,they should be age limit honestly what can a 70year old guard do when attacked by those energetic criminal? just thinking!