2 kids die as dad torches house

Police arrest handcuffs arrested jail
Police arrest handcuffs

TWO Children in Kitwe have died after sustaining burns when their father set the house they were sleeping in ablaze.

Six-month-old Wellingtone Zulu and Mapalo Zulu, aged six, died on Thursday after sustaining 92.8 per cent of burns in the inferno in Ipusukilo Township.

Copperbelt police chief Joyce Kasosa said Wellingtone Zulu poured petrol on the house belonging to his former wife, Jane Siame, and set it ablaze on Monday around 23:30 hours, causing serious burns on the family members.

Ms Kasosa said Ms Siame and her three children were rushed to Kitwe Central Hospital (KCH) where two of them died.

Ms Siame and her other daughter, Betty Zulu, 3, are still admitted to the hospital.

Ms Kasosa said police arrested Mr Zulu on Thursday after he took doom insecticide and was also admitted to hospital.

“Wellingtone Zulu, who set ablaze the house of his former wife Jane, has been arrested after taking doom insecticide.

“He is unconscious and admitted to hospital but two of the children have died due to the burns which were 92.8 per cent,” she said.

The incident was reported to the police by Patrick Kalenga, 28, a carpenter of Ipusukilo Township.