Forest Rangers prevent Nkana from claiming MTN-FAZ table top spot

nkana football club

Nkana 0 Forest 0

NKANA’S hopes of overtaking Zesco at the summit of the MTN-FAZ table were shattered after they were held to a barren draw by a struglling Forest Rangers side.
Meanwhile, the match was abandoned for a few minutes after Nkana fans started throwing missiles at assistant referee Kalopa Musonda.
The 11-time Zambian champions who now move level on 45 points with leaders Zesco having played a game less failed to use home advantage to collect maximum points.
This rescheduled week 17 match whose rythm was constantly interrupted by referee Hendrix Mutumba saw both sides playing for a win but settled for a goalless draw after failing to convert numerous chances.
Nkana’s striking force of Festus Mbewe and Raynolds ‘Sate Sate’ Kampamba looked blunt and lacked a killer instinct against a more organised Forest backline marshalled by former international Evans Chisulo who ensured that Kampamba was a silent figure throughout the game.
The closest Nkana came to scoring was in the 24th minute when Lottie Nyimbili drove his long range effort over the bar.
Forest’s best effort on target came through Kelvin Mwelwa whose well executed free kick was spilled by Charles Mweemba on 63 minutes and Green Mumba failed to slot in a rebound prompting Billy Mwanza to clear the lines.
Nkana coach Masautso Mwale pushed in Rabby Lwambula, Jimmy Njovu and Joseph Milanzi to add more steel to his side but the changes could not yield positive results.
The home fans grew impatient and incenced by assistant referee Musonda’s decisions against Nkana and started throwing stones and objects at him leading to the abandonement of the game for four minutes.
But alert police officers moved in to restore order.
Nkana is now on 45 points but Zesco leads the table on superior goal difference while Forest is still hovering in the relegation zone on 14 points.
At Arthur Davis Stadium, Power Dynamos beat Nkwazi 1-nil at Arthur Davies Stadium in Kitwe to extend their unbeaten run to five successive games, reports KALUMIANA KALUMIANA.
The six-time champions have now picked up three wins from their last five games but stay put in 10th place on 31 points.
Meanwhile, both sides were evenly poised in the opening 15 minutes although Nkwazi had the first chance on goal through Stewart Chikandiwa whose shot inches high in the 11th minute.
Four minutes later, Kamuzati Kabwe’s thumping free kick in the 15th minute was parried by Nkwazi goalkeeper Nelson Banda.
However, the games major highlight was the return to Power’s lineup of striker Francis Kombe after he was sidelined while his status was being resolved.
Kombe rolled back the years with an eye-catching display throughout tormenting Nkwazi’s defence every time he found himself in the box.
And it was from Kombe’s assist in the 42nd minute when he put Kennedy Mudenda through who beat two Nkwazi defenders before unleashing a powerful shot passed Banda.
Power were given a scare by Nkwazi in the 58th minute and had Joshua Titima to thank after parrying Augustine Mulenga’s voley from outside the box.
And Kombe was denied a clear goal in the 62nd when his diving header from a Maybin Mwaba cross was mysteriously ruled out by Bernard Chabala but that did bother Power who made their visitors look second best until the final whistle.
Meanwhile in Chingola, Nchanga Rangers came from behind to finish 1-all with Red Arrows.
Stanely Nshimbi put Arrows ahead in the 50th minute before Alex Ngonga equalised 11 minutes from time from the penalty spot.