O.J. Simpson won parole Wednesday on some of the charges that have kept him in a Nevada prison for almost five years, but still faces at least four more years behind bars.
The Nevada Board of Parole Commissioners ordersays the decision relates to two kidnapping and two robbery convictions and one conviction for burglary with a firearm. But Simpson, 66, will continue to be held for related convictions for which he is not yet eligible for parole.
The case stems from a confrontation Simpson had with two sports memorabilia collectors at a Las Vegas hotel room in 2007. Simpson, a former superstar in the National Football League, said he was attempting to retrieve his own memorabilia.
Three co-defendants pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against Simpson, who was convicted and sentenced to 33 years in prison, with the possibility of parole in nine years.
Simpson appeared before two members of the board last week. He told them that he has been a model prisoner and that other inmates come to him to tell their stories and seek guidance.
“They were trying to steal other people’s property,” Simpson told the commissioners. “They were trying to steal other people’s money. My crime was trying to retrieve for my family my own property.”
His oldest daughter and a prison official provided letters of support for Simpson. Prison officials say he’s had no disciplinary actions against him.