DEFENDER Christopher Munthali risks facing sanctions for having two contracts with Power Dynamos and Nkana.
Munthali, who still has a running contract with Power up to December 31, 2016, has signed a three-year deal with Nkana.
Power vice-chairman George Lungu said in an interview yesterday that the club is disappointed with the way Nkana has handled Munthali’s move.
Lungu said Nkana did not approach Power over Munthali and only learnt that the player had been given a three-year contract in the media.
He appealed to Nkana to avail the details of the contract.
On Saturday, Nkana president Evaristo Kabila announced that Chipolopolo defender Munthali put pen to paper before leaving for the 2016 Rwanda African Nations Championship (CHAN).
“This system of inducing players should be done away with. Munthali still has a contract up to December 31, 2016 and we hear Nkana has also given him a three-year contract. If a player wants to move, we can’t stand in his way but the transfer should be done in a professional way,” he said.
Lungu said the club would officially write to the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) over the matter.
He wondered why Nkana failed to respect the rules and regulations of player transfers and that club administrators should take a leading role in protecting and advising players on the dangers of flouting contractual obligations.
“Our club CEO (Ricky Mamfunda) will formally write to FAZ to complain about Nkana’s underhand methods. Munthali is a professional player who understands the consequences of having double contracts. People should be truthful in such dealings.
Lungu said club administrators should embrace professionalism in view of club licensing and that Zambian players must learn to respect their contracts.