Scott warns FRA over smuggled maize
Vubwi, September 3, 2014, ZANIS…Vice President Guy Scott has directed Eastern Province Minister Malozo Sichone to ensure that the Food Reserve Agency (FRA) does not buy maize that is smuggled from neighboring countries.
Speaking yesterday when he addressed scores of Vubwi residents at Vubwi school grounds Dr. Scott observed that people were smuggling the grain into the province for sale to the FRA.
Dr. Scott was in Vubwi to drum up support for the PF candidate Margaret Miti in the Vubwi constituency Parliamentary by-election slated for September 11, 2014.
He stated that there was need to ensure that only locally produced maize was sold to the agency because the purchase of the grain was for the empowerment of the local people and also for strategic reserves.
The Vice President noted that Government had already exceeded its maize purchase target of 500,000 metric tons saying there was therefore need to ensure that the maize bought was locally produced.
Dr. Scott stressed government’s commitment to ensuring that it addressed the needs of the people and that unscrupulous businesses should not be tolerated.
And Luangeni MP, Charles Zulu said the Rural Electrification Authority (REA) would spend K6 million to connect Vubwi district to the national power grid.
He stated that President Michael Sata was committed to improve the lives of the people in the area.
Mr Zulu noted that apart from the roads, health facilities and schools that were being constructed, Government was also drilling boreholes to ensure improved access to clean and safe drinking water for the people.
“We want to see people enjoy the fruits of genuine and real development which have been initiated by President Sata, this development is meaningful because it improves the lives of ordinary people,” he said.
Meanwhile, the PF candidate Magaret Miti pledged to enhance development started by President Michael Sata.
Ms Miti noted that President Sata wanted a representative from the ruling party who she said could help enhance the many developments that were taking place in Vubwi constituency.
The Vubwi constituency Parliamentary seat fell vacant following the nullification of the MMD’s Eustarckio Kazonga by the Supreme court due to electoral malpractice.
Others candidates contesting the seat are Alfonso Phiri for the United Party for National Development (UPND) , Charles Nyoka of the Forum for Democracy and Development (FDD) and Eustarkio Kazonga of the MMD who is re-contesting the seat.