A 37 year old woman and her two children in Nchelenge District of Luapula Province escaped death after the thatched house they were sleeping in caught fire.
The fire , which is reported to have started around 02: 50 hours on Saturday, consumed all the household goods including six 50kg bags of maize, four bags of dry cassava and K360 cash.
ZANIS reports that Nchelenge ward Councillor Kasenge Kafimbwa and the victim Fanny Miyambo confirmed the development in a telephone interview, yesterday.
Ms. Miyambo , of Kafimbwa village in Kambwali Chiefdom , said her two children who were choking from the fumes, woke her up only to find the house burning.
She said they hardly escaped than the roof give in to the ravaging fire and added that they were left without clothes and were only dressed by the well wishers in the neighbourhood.
Ms. Miyambo has appealed to the government through the Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit (DMMU) for material and financial support to help her rebuild her shelter.
And councillor Kasenge in an Interview with ZANIS yesterday said he found the stranded shocked family under the tree and that by he was making frantic efforts to secure them a temporal shelter.