‘Jerabo’ killed in bar fight


A MAN in Kitwe linked to the infamous ‘Jerabo’ group has been brutally killed in a fight during a drinking spree.
The fierce fight involved breaking of bottles which were used to stab the deceased to death.
Copperbelt police commissioner Joyce Kasosa confirmed the incident which happened on Saturday night.
She named the deceased as Lazarous Sikanyika of  Chamboli Township who was stabbed in the neck with a broken bottle.
Ms Kasosa said Mr Sikanyika, of house number 3-6 6th Street, was murdered by unknown people around 23:00 hours at Kampamba Bottle Store in Wusakile Township.
She said Mr Sikanyika was found in a pool of blood with three deep cuts on the neck, left arm and face.
A sharp instrument was alleged to have been used in the murder.
“No arrests have been made but investigations have been launched,” she said.
According to an eyewitnesses, the deceased belonged to the ‘Jerabos’ involved in the illegal mining of copper around the ‘black mountain’ in Wusakile area.
She said the deceased was one of the Jerabos who seemed to have been making a fortune out of the ‘black mountain’ and had taken to heavy drinking from the income realised from illegal mining activities.
The eyewitness said Mr Sikanyika was often seen at the bottle store where he was murdered.
She said the deceased was drinking with his colleagues when he picked a quarrel which degenerated into a fierce fight that made other patrons scamper for safety.
“In the process of fighting, one guy picked a bottle which he broke and used it to stab the deceased while dragging him from the bar to the outside yard,” the eyewitness said.
In Kabwe, police are investigating a case in which a 63-year-old man was found dead in his car as blood oozed from his head.
Central Province deputy commissioner of police Edwin Bwanga, who confirmed this yesterday, said the hands of the deceased were found placed on the power steering.
He said preliminary investigations had revealed that the deceased, identified as John Yusuf Juma, had a habit of spending nights in his car for fear that it could be stolen.
Mr Bwanga said Mr Juma was found dead in the morning yesterday by family members.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});