Delays in completion of secondary school worries DC
Itezhi Tezhi, February 6, ZANIS ———– Itezhi Tezhi District Commissioner, Roy Nang’alelwa says the delay to complete construction of Itezhi Tezhi secondary school in the area has inconvenienced the community and has since called on government to open the school.
Mr Nang’alelwa told ZANIS that 90 percent of works at the project had been done and what was remaining is the connection of power and water to the institution.
The District Commissioner said government has already paid K60, 000 for power and K40, 000 for water connections but wondered why it was taking long to complete the works.
He explained that children who qualify to grade ten suffer a lot as they travel to Namwala secondary school via Lusaka as some go Mumbwa while children whose parents fail to send their children to these schools end up staying back.
And Itezhi Tezhi District Education Board Secretary (DEBS) John Moose said the delay to open the secondary school was felt much because grade nines, tens and 11 are learning at Uphill primary school adding the situation was not conducive there because the primary section has been disturbed.
Mr Moose however said his office had written to government asking for two classrooms at the newly constructed secondary school to cater for grades 10 and 11 while grades eight and nine remains at Uphill primary school until the secondary school opens fully.
He said he was grateful that government was showing willingness to allow two classrooms to be used by grade 10 and 11 pupils.
Mr Moose further explained that parents earlier requested two houses from ZESCO which were being used as dormitories for girls and boys adding that the parents were in the process of constructing four pit latrines for pupils.
Once opened the secondary school will be the only one in the district going up to grade 12.