Baluba mine’s non remittance of monthly contributions sparks protest

Banner 3
Banner 3

—–Mine workers at Baluba Mines in Luanshya have downed tools in a near riot protest against non remittance of their pension contributions to the National Pensions Scheme Authority (NAPSA) for over 3 years.

The employees alleged that the mine management was not remitting their pension contribution to NAPSA despite deductions being drawn from their salaries monthly back dating to 2011.

Koffi Mwanza one of the employees at the mine told ZANIS in Luanshya today that the workers have since abandoned the mine and have camped at Mpatamato Chinese house, demanding for the payment of the money that was being deducted from their monthly salaries since 2011.

 “Work has come to a standstill, all workers have come to China house to meet management and get an explanation as to why it has not been submitting our NAPSA contributions despite our pay slips showing the deductions,” Mwanza said.

He disclosed that the scam was exposed when NAPSA officials yesterday visited the mine to find out why the company was not remitting contributions to NAPSA.

Mwanza said the development angered miners who have since downed tools demanding that management pays back their money which they claim was being stolen from them.

Another employee who sought anonymity complained of discrepancies in monthly salaries which he said were being covered by denying certain workers the provision of pay slips.

He stated that some workers were even denied the use of banking services as they were forced to receive their money directly from the employers despite having submitted necessary banking requirements to management.

“We have tried to submit our valid account numbers but we were told that we can’t receive our salaries through our banks because management finds it convenient to pay us from the accounts department, while salaries vary time and again because others do not receive pay slips for unknown reasons,” he said.

The protest which attracted police presence and NAPSA officers started around 08:00 hours and lasted the whole day as management failed to resolve the issue.

Efforts to get a comment from Baluba Mine proved futile as management was reported to be in a closed door meeting with company union leaders and NAPSA officers.