ZCTU saddened by FQM ‘s threat to lay off 500 workers
Lusaka, June 20, 2013, ZANIS…Zambia Congress of Trade Union says it is saddened with First Quantum Mine in Solwezi in North-western province’s intention to lay off 500 workers at the mine.
ZCTU Secretary General Roy Mwaba said his organisation condemn such a move because it is against the Zambian decent work agenda and the Patriotic From manifesto of job creation.
Mr Mwaba said that as a country, we are depending on the mining industries to create employment which are fully sustainable.
ZANIS reports that the ZCTU Secretary General said this in a statement released in Lusaka, today.
He said all along, the country have been happy that the mining has been taking root in the new Copperbelt of North Western province but that this is no longer the case.
Mr Mwaba stated that contrary to what FQM is planning to do the mining giant must first compare notes with what happened at KCM when the Zambian people cried against the massive lay-off of 2000 workers.
“We hope that FQM management can rise above what is only in their best interest and advantage. They must immediately enter into social dialogue with key stakeholders so that a way forward beneficial to all can be found,” Mr Mwaba.
He appealed to FQM management not to proceed with the current plans but to take a leaf from KCM to help this country overcome challenges it is seriously facing.
The mining giant is reported to plan to lay off 500 of its workers at its Sentinel Mine at Columbia in Solwezi District.
According to the company management this follows Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA)’s action to place an order which halted the construction of the Chisola Dam for the mine last month.