Allocation of plots worries Choma youth organisation
Choma, April 20, ZANIS —– A youth Organisation has accused the Choma Municipal Council of mishandling the recent exercise on the allocation of residential and commercial plots.
Executive Director for Youth Development Organisation, Partner Siabutuba says the way the interviews and subsequently allocation of plots was handled leaves much to be desired.
Mr Siabutuba says the council failed in its responsibility to allocate plots to the weak and vulnerable in society as it gave out plots to the majority of the people who are affluent.
He said the local authority gave plots to individuals who already had previously acquired plots from the previous plot allocation exercises.
Mr Siabutuba said his organisation has sufficient evidence to substantiate this claim.
He said the council should be courageous enough to admit that the exercise was flawed and marred with alleged corrupt activities.
But Council Spokesman, Robert Zawe said the council had challenges in giving out plots because of the huge number of applicants.
Mr Zawe said over 2,000 people applied for the 300 plots.
He says the local authority used the best formula to ensure that plots were fairly allocated to residents.