Charity Katanga transferred to Copperbelt ahead of elections

Northern Province Police Commissioner Charity Katanga
Northern Province Police Commissioner Charity Katanga

THE Police Command has again transferred Lusaka Province police commissioner Charity Katanga to the Copperbelt, putting her among the most transferred commissioners since the position was created. Confirming the transfer, Police spokesperson Charity Munganga-Chanda said Katanga will be taking over from Joyce Kasosa who has been moved from Copperbelt to police headquarters to be in-charge of operations. “Yes, there have been those transfers in the police service. That is very normal to be transferred. There is nothing extraordinary. The Copperbelt Commissioner madam Joyce Kasosa comes to police headquarters as Commissioner in-charge of operations and Mr Nelson Phiri goes to Lusaka Province as Commissioner,” said Munganga-Chanda. Since president Michael Sata introduced the provincial police commissioners position, Katanga has been transferred four times. Katanga’s first appointment was in Lusaka where she served for one year and was moved to Southern Province where she served another one year six months. She was later transferred from Southern Province to Northern Province where she again only served one year and was moved back to Lusaka about a year ago. Her latest transfer to the Copperbelt comes at a time when the police in the province face wide condemnation for curtailing opposition political parties from holding political meetings. On Saturday, Katanga explained that some members of the public, including some of her fellow police officers, considered her a threat because she was a hindrance to their desire for wrongdoing. “I am a threat to those who consider me as a hindrance to their wrongdoing. So they have been planning vaboza (lies) against me. If you have seen in my duties, I have tried to be a very fair officer. I will continue pursuing the course of justice, whether there are hurdles or not,” said Katanga, in reaction to false social media claims that she was under investigation for professional misconduct.

The Post