A RESIDENT of Chisamba has denied filing a complaint in the Lusaka Magistrate’s Court to institute criminal investigations against Patriotic Front (PF) president Edgar Lungu and Minister of Tourism and Arts Jean Kapata for allegedly disclosing confidential information from a Cabinet meeting.
Austin Katunta told a media briefing yesterday that he did not write any letter to the Magistrate’s Court.
“I was surprised to read in The Post newspapers edition of Saturday, December 6, 2014, that I have sworn and filed a complaint against Mr Lungu and Ms Kapata before the Magistrate’s Court. The truth is I did not sign any affidavit or give consent to anyone.
“Last week, PF Matero constituency chairperson Morgan Ng’ona phoned me to get my personal details and stated that they needed my details for something that will be discussed or disclosed later, and that was the last I heard from him until I read the story in the newspapers that I have raised a complaint,” Mr Katunta said.
He alleged that the matter is a serious case of forgery.
“It is for this reason that I wish to proceed to make a formal complaint to the Police. I find the use of my name without express authority by way of signing to be a criminal offence and whoever laid this complaint using my name has forged documents, signatures and lied to court,” Mr Katunta said.
When asked how long he knew the people he gave his personal details and if an agreement was made to strike a deal, Mr Katunta denied discussing any agreement.
Mr Ng’ona, who is alleged to have phoned Mr Katunta to get his personal details, has said a comprehensive statement would be issued to respond to the allegations.
“I have no comment, let me study his statement then I will respond. He is an associate and we do meet often times and discuss a number of issues but I don’t know what he is talking about,” Mr Ng’ona said.
Last Saturday, reports in some sections of the media suggested that Mr Katunta had written a letter addressed to Lusaka chief resident magistrate and copied to the Director of Public Prosecutions following Lusaka High Court judge Gertrude Chawatama’s ruling that Mr Lungu and Dr Scott be removed from the proceedings.
This was in a matter in which former deputy minister of Finance Newton Ng’uni sued Mr Lungu, Attorney General Musa Mwenye and Dr Scott as respondents to challenge the alleged irregular manner in which the hand-over of the Presidential instruments of power was done on October 29, 2014 following President Sata’s death.
Zambia Daily Mail