Fish die mysteriously as people develop diarrhoea after eating the fish
Chinsali, August 27, 2014—Several households in Ichinga ward of Chinsali district have developed diarrhoea after eating fish which is suspected to be poisonous.
Ichinga Ward Councillor Shame Kapyanga has confirmed the development to
the Zambia News and Information Services (ZANIS) in an interview today.
Mr Kapyanga said fishermen are alleged to be using poisonous substances locally known as Pasha to catch fish in Chambeshi River.
He said a number of villagers complained of diarrhoea after they ate fish from the named river at the weekend and later discovered that fish was dying mysterious.
The civic leader said that fish is just floating on the river adding that fish is dying in large numbers.
Mr Kapyanga has since called on the department of fishers under the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (MAL) to investigate the matter and bring the culprits top book.
He has further urged the health inspector from the Ministry of Health (MoH) to carry out tets and possibly ban fish from being sold the market especially at Chinsali old market to safeguard people’s life.