Nkana water scouts for K5.5 million

Banner 3
Banner 3

Nkana water scouts for K5.5 million

Kitwe, Aug 21, ZANIS….. Nkana Water and Sewarage Company needs over K5.5 million to put up water and sanitation infrastructure at the newly opened Ndeke-presidential and Chamboli residential areas.

The Water utility company has so far received K2.9 million from service charges being paid by the people that have been offered plots in the two new areas.

Nkana Water and Sewarage Company Public Relations manager Mwangala Chiwala told ZANIS in an interview today that plot owners will contribute 40 per cent while the water utility company will foot the remaining 60 per cent.

Ms Chiwala however said it may be a bit of a challenge for the company to raise the 60 per cent which is supposed to be footed by Nkana Water and Sewarage company.

Ms Chiwala said the company will start the installation of water and sanitation infrastructure next month.

She added that K3.3 million will be spent on the water network while K2.250 million will be spent on the sewer system.

She said the company is currently working on the detailed design of the network for sewer and water pipes taking into consideration the roads and the plot locations.

Ms Mwangala further stated that the procurement of the needed materials has been done and the consignment was already in transit.

She thanked the Kitwe city council for its support in the collection of funds for the water and sanitation facilities as it has enabled the water utility company to immediately raise funds to kick start the project.

The Kitwe City council has opened new residential areas near the presidential lodge and another one in Chamboli creating over 1500 plots comprising of commercial, high-cost, medium and low cost categories.