52 Buffaloes die in stampede in Kafue National Park

buffalo stampede
buffalo stampede

– In what seems like a biannual event, fifty two (52) buffaloes have died in a stampede in the Kafue National Park in Itezhi Tezhi district in central province.


ZANIS staffer Frederick Mwansa reports that the carcasses of buffaloes were discovered by alert Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) officers during their tour along the Musa River in the southern part of the Kafue National Park.


Mwansa reports that when contacted Itezhi Tezhi district commissioner George Sichula  confirmed the development adding that the sad development took place last Friday night.


“ 52 buffaloes were found dead in the Kafue National Park along Musa River. They are believed to have died in a stampede and ZAWA officers are investigation the cause of the stampede” Mr. Sichula said.


This is the third time a huge number of buffaloes have died in similar manner at the same place.


And most of the carcasses which were floating in the Musa River have since been scavenged by some local people.


In September 2009, 35 buffaloes    died at the same area and ZAWA attributed the stampede to lions that were chasing the buffaloes

In August 2012 another 81 buffaloes died in a similar manner at the same river In the Kafue national park.


The wild animals usually move in herds of about one thousand and when they are disturbed they run in the same direction causing stampede.


Meanwhile a police officer based at Itezhi Tezhi police station is feared dead   after boat in which he was travelling capsized on Lake Itezhi Tezhi.


Itezhi Tezhi District Commissioner George Sichula has confirmed the incidence adding that the development occurred on Saturday.


Mr. Sichula who named the missing police officer as Maxwell Madubeko said the boat reportedly capsized following huge waves and that five people survived the accident and managed to swim to the shore.


‘As of yesterday the rescue team was still looking for the missing police officer who was a trained coxswain” Mr. Sichula said.