Lukulu Health worker dies in Motor bike accident

aerial photo of Lukulu
aerial photo of Lukulu

A 35-year-old employee of Ngimbu Rural Health Centre in Lukulu District of Western Province has died after falling off a motor bike he was riding .
In a telephone interview, Lukulu District Commissioner Precious Muyenga confirmed the accident to ZANIS and identified the deceased as Alex Kangombe of Kangombe village in Chief Likulunga’s area.

Ms Muyenga said Kangombe who was carrying two passengers, Given Phiri 29, and Andrew Tembo 22, rolled from his motor bike after hitting into a pot hole at around 23:00 hours at Chimbanda area about five kilometres away from Lukulu Township.

She said the deceased who sustained a crashed head and abdominal injuries was pronounced dead at Chitokoloki Mission Hospital and his body is lying in Lukulu District Hospital Mortuary awaiting post-mortem and burial.

And Lukulu District Medical Superintendent Mangituka Mundemba said the other passengers, Phiri and Tembo sustained minor injuries and are out of danger.

Meanwhile, Ms Muyenga has appealed to motorists and cyclists to observe road traffic signs and wear helmets whenever they are riding motor bikes.

She said many lives have been lost in the country due to both negligence and not observing road traffic rules.

Ms Muyenga said the Road Traffic and Safety Agency (RTSA) has strengthened road shows in the districts of Western province but people were failing to adhere to safety measures.

And Western Province Deputy Division Traffic Officer, Trustwell Masempela said most of the motor bike accidents happen in the rural areas where they cannot be monitored by traffic police officers.

Mr Masempela said many of the motor bikes are unregistered and are mostly ridden by inexperienced people.

He complained that the province has of late witnessed an influx of motor bikes from Angola.
He has since requested all motor bike owners to acquire licenses for them to be conversant with riding skills.

Mr Masempela said people should desist from overloading because the machine was not meant for that.