Man jailed three years with hard labourfor burglary

Police arrest handcuffs arrested jail
Police arrest handcuffs

A Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a 27 year old man to three years imprisonment with hard labour for breaking into a building and stealing various household goods worth about K68,500.

Duno Ndeketeye broke into an unfinished farm house in the night belonging to his former employer in Lusaka, Alice Nkhoma, and got away with various household goods which include a 42 inch television set, sonny stereo, kitchen utensils, assorted clothes, four car rims, three quarters mattress, double mattress and a blanket.

Duno, who appeared before Resident, Magistrate Aridah Chulu for sentencing, stood charged with burglary and theft contrary to Section 301(a) of the Penal Code Chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.

Facts before the court were that some of the property which include two mattresses, stereo, blanket and CDs were recovered from the house of Duno’s wife and brother after a tip off by one of the workers at the farm that it was suspected that the accused was the one who had
stolen the property in question.

The convict, who was on the run, was later apprehended by police after a month of having stolen the property in August, last year.

And in his defence, Duno told the court that he had worked for five years for his former employer but he was not given his benefits hence wanted to get his money through the things that he had stolen.

And in mitigation Duno said he was a first offender and was remorseful and deeply regretted his actions, saying he had learnt a lesson from the time he was detained in custody last year in August.

He asked for forgiveness from both his family, the owner of the property and the court, adding that the court should exercise maximum leniency and consider giving him a suspended sentence because his children will suffer if sent to prison.

And in passing sentence, Magistrate Chulu said it was not in dispute that various household goods were stolen and later recovered from the house of the convict’s wife and brother, adding that Duno did not refuse having stolen the property in question.

She further said the fact that the convict was on the run after they recovered some of the property from his wife and brother’s houses shows that he was guilty.

The magistrate said she had carefully considered the evidence before the court and that the prosecution had proved the case beyond reasonable doubt hence found him guilty and convicted him accordingly.

Magistrate Chulu sentenced Duno to three years imprisonment with effect from August 5, 2013 when he was arrested.