FAZ, Supersport condemn soccer hooliganism

Kalusaha Bwalya FAZ AGM 2013-03-30_Lusakavoice.com
THE Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) says it will not tolerate any acts of violence during league matches and will take appropriate action once officials hand in the report of the abandoned match between Konkola Blades and Nkana on Sunday.

And MultiChoice and SuperSport have also strongly condemned acts of hooliganism in football with reference to the MTN-FAZ Premier League Week 27 match between Blades and Nkana that was halted in the 87th minute following crowd trouble.
FAZ spokesperson Erick Mwanza said in an interview yesterday that the trend by soccer fans to instigate violence during games was not acceptable as it was tarnishing the image of Zambian football.
Mwanza said FAZ was disappointed with what transpired at Konkola Stadium warning that the association would not tolerate any acts of violence during games as the security of match officials, players and fans was paramount.
He said FAZ was waiting for a report from match commissioner Moses Mweemba and referee Wisdom Chewe over the fracas in order for appropriate action to be taken.
“Violence is not welcome in the game of football and as FAZ we will not allow this unfortunate trend to continue. We condemn what happened in Chililabombwe on Sunday and we will take action after we receive a report from match officials,” he said.
And MultiChoice Zambia public relations manager Marlon Kananda said SuperSport strongly condemned acts of hooliganism in football especially that which characterised the game on Sunday.
“This is completely unacceptable in our football. It does not do us nor the image of our football any good when we have fans invading the pitch and others throwing missiles.
“We condemn this in the strongest possible terms. We are confident that the Football Association of Zambia and all stakeholders will help sensitise the football loving fans on the importance of upholding pitch and terraces’ display,” Kananda.
Chewe abandoned this mouth-watering match in the 87th minute with the home side enjoying a 1-0 lead. This followed a brawl that ensued after some Blades fans allegedly started taunting their Nkana counterparts late in the game and escalated into a clash that some police officers fired teargas canisters in an effort to calm the situation.
This comes a few weeks after a goalless draw rescheduled Week 17 match between Nkana and Forest Rangers was abandoned by referee Hendrix Mutumba for a few minutes after Nkana fans started throwing objects on the pitch.