PF youths cause stir at court

PF Cadres in Pictures
PF Cadres in Pictures
PF Cadres youth Day Boostele   photo
PF Cadres youth Day Boostele photo

Patriotic Front (PF) youths yesterday besieged the Lusaka magistrate’s court complex chanting slogans accusing some party leaders of dividing the party.
But quick action by alert police officers stopped the cadres from entering the court premises as they sealed and closed all the gates denying the youth any access.
The youth wanted to render support to one of their colleague, Innocent Kalimisha who was scheduled to appear before court for assault and malicious damage to property.
Kalimisha, 32, of Chawama Township, however, did not appear in person but sent two of his sureties who informed resident magistrate Irene Wishimanga that their colleague could not be in court because he was nursing injuries after he was allegedly beaten by 18 police officers during investigations of the offence.
Police acting spokesperson Rae Hamoonga doubted the credibility of the claim by the cadres, saying there was no report or complaint to the police from Kalimisha.
Mr Hamoonga said if the allegations were true, Kalimisha, who was detained at Emmasdale Police Station before he was given bond should have lodged a complaint with superiors at the station before or at the time of his release.
University Teaching Hospital (UTH) public relations officer Mwenya Mulenga did not have Kalimisha’s details of being admitted to the hospital by press time.
Kalimisha is facing five counts of assault and three counts of malicious damage to property, resulting from the Saturday incident at Northmead School where PF cadres fought over the presidential endorsement debate.
When his matter was called before Ms Wishimanga for possible taking of plea, Kalimisha’s two sureties, Benja Siwila and Elvis Simukonda informed the court that their colleague could not be before court because he was sick, resulting from the beating he allegedly received from officers who arrested him.
Ms Wishimanga adjourned the case to September 9, 2013 after hearing that Kalimisha was unwell.
Shortly after court appearance one of the sureties Mr Siwila vowed during a press briefing that the youths would continue fighting until Justice Minister and PF Secretary General Wynter Kabimba was hounded out of the party.
He accused Mr Kabimba of dividing the party and demanded that he stepped down, adding that the youth would do anything to ensure they too enjoyed the sweat of their labour since they were the ones who put Mr Kabimba and others in party positions.