Chibombo accident survivors recovering well

Banner 3
Banner 3

Government is happy with the pace of recovery of the Chibombo accident survivors where only two people are still admitted to the University Teaching Hospital (UTH) in Lusaka.


In early February this year, over 50 passengers died in Chibombo after a truck lost control and hit into a Zambia Postal Service (ZAMPOST) bus that was coming from Ndola.


Over 20 people survived the accident with injuries and were admitted to Liteta hospital before being referred to the University Teaching Hospital (UTH).


Deputy Minister in the Office of the Vice President Harry Kalaba said government was pleased to see the survivors leave the hospital following successful treatment by the UTH personnel.


Mr. Kalaba said this in Lusaka today when he visited the Ward G at UTH to see the accident survivors.


He was accompanied by Lusaka District Commissioner Ashell Kampengele and officers from the Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit (DMMU).


Mr. Kalaba said government had not forgotten about the victims but was working hard to monitor the recovery of the victims.


He assured that government was keen in addressing the challenges of the victims by systematically working at the issue of compensation together with the Zambia State Insurance Corporation (ZSIC) and the Zambia Postal Services (ZAMPOST).

The Deputy Minister encouraged the patients not to look to God for strength and to thank Him for sparing their lives in the accident that claimed lives of many Zambians.


And UTH acting Senior Medical Superintendent and Head of Clinical Care Laston Chikoya said the hospital and the DMMU have embarked on training personnel in smaller hospitals in order to have effective referral systems in the country.


Dr. Chikoya said personnel at Liteta in Chibombo district were currently receiving training in trauma management.


He also disclosed that currently, UTH has 90 percent of oxygen which is enabling it to perform at full capacity in all the theatres.


Meanwhile, the two patients Godfrey Chonde and Mercy Kabangu, both from Ndola have expressed gratitude to UTH personnel whom they said worked tirelessly on them to preserve their lives.


Mr. Chonde, who underwent a spine operation, said his recovery was progressing well but stressed that he still felt some pain around his legs.


And Ms. Kabangu said she felt better and thanked God for her life.


She called on government to assist her with house rentals of about KR1, 800 accumulated during her time in hospital.


Deputy Minister in the Office of the Vice President Harry Kalaba has since pledged to settle her bills and advised her not to worry about rentals but instead concentrate on her recovering process.