A KITWE man, age 21, has been placed on defence by the Magistrate’s Court for allegedly participating in a gang rape of a 25-year-old woman.
Magistrate Prosper Mwila said on Monday after the state closed its case in the matter in question that he was satisfied that a prima facie case had been established against the accused person.
This is in a case in which Victor Kabwe of Chimwemwe in Kitwe is facing one count of rape, contrary to section 132 of the Penal Code.
Particulars of the offence are that Kabwe, on February 9 this year, in Kitwe, jointly and whilst acting together with other persons unknown, had carnal knowledge of a woman without her consent.
Kabwe denied the charge.
But narrating her ordeal before magistrate Mwila on Monday, the victim testified that on the material night, she was walking home from a bar when she met Kabwe who offered to escort her.
She narrated that she was surprised to learn that Kabwe was in fact not alone as two of his friends emerged and that one of them held her arms, while the other held her legs.
She testified that the three men lifted her and took her to empty stalls at Chimwemwe market where they took turns in raping her.
She testified that she was only saved by police officers who were patrolling the area when they found Kabwe in the act and apprehended him.
The other two suspected rapists ran away.
But Kabwe, in his defence, denied raping the complainant and told the court that she was the one who in fact requested for sex.
Under cross-examination, Kabwe said he did not have sex with the complainant as police interrupted him.
Magistrate Mwila adjourned the case to May 11 this year for judgment.