Government has released over K3.2 million towards the payment of former Zambia national soccer team coach Dario Bonetti to settle his unpaid dues.
Minister of Youth and Sport Vincent Mwale disclosed this in a ministerial statement issued in Parliament today.
Mwale said his ministry yesterday processed K3,289,731.04 to settle the accrued salary arrears plus interest.
Mwale said the initial amount owed to Bonetti was K2,296,800 but accrued interest after the period of notification of judgement.
Mwale said the payment was done in order for Zambia not to suffer Federation for International Football Association (FIFA) sanctions which may entail preventing the country from participating in future international football competitions.
He said government had fully settled Bonetti’s dues while the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) meets the cost of salaries for the senior team coach and assistant commencing this year, 2015.
Last week, Mwale summoned FAZ to discuss Bonetti’s dues and the contract of Chipolopolo Coach Honour Janza.
The minister yesterday further met the FAZ officials to resolve former national team coach Dario Bonetti’s unpaid dues.
FAZ parted company with Bonetti on October 10, 2011, two days after the Italian guided the Chipolopolo to the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations finals.
Bonetti took the matter to FIFA, who ruled that he must be paid about US$382,000.