You will recall that on 16th August 2013, our Government launched the L400 which involves rehabilitation and construction/upgrading of selected Lusaka urban roads at a cost US$348.8 million.
You will be pleased to note that the L400 project will create at least 1000 jobs during the construction period of various roads in residential, light industrial and industrial areas of Lusaka City such as Kabanana, Chalala, Kamwala South, Chilenje South, Avondale, Kabwata Site and Service, Chazanga, Kamanga, Chinika Area, Bauleni, Northmead, Matero, Chawama, Lilanda, Chilulu, Ngombe, Kaunda Square, Kalingalinga and Mtendere among others.
I am pleased to report the progress to date as follows:
1. Mumbwa road: 8 km of works done up to Asphalt Concrete. Road line marking is in progress;
2. Industrial road (off mumbwa road): works have been done up to Asphalt level;
3. Chazanga to Kabanana road: 4.6 km done up to Asphalt level. Drainages in progress;
4. Chilimbulu road: about 3 km have been cleared in readiness for construction of pavement layers. Extension of culverts is in progress;
5. Burma road: about 3 km have been cleared in readiness for construction of pavement layers. Extension of culverts is in progress;
6. Chawama 1 road: works have been done up to Asphalt level. Drainage works in progress;
7. Chilanga road: the contractor is currently working on the sub base layer. Works are in progress
Our Government will continue to focus its efforts on growing the economy faster and to make it more labour absorbing by implementing projects such as the L400 in line with the PF Manifesto. MCS- 15/05/14