—A 35-year-old police officer of Kalipande Police Post in Angola is nursing serious burns in Chavuma Mission Hospital in North-western province after the house he was sleeping in caught fire yesterday.
Sgt Antonio Chipoya’s house was ignited as his son attempted to light a fire near a 20-litre container of petrol that was stored in the house.
The officer, who was rushed to the mission hospital by his colleagues, sustained multiple second-degree burns on his body but is in a stable condition.
According to Sgt Chipoya’s relatives, the incident occurred around 12:00 hours in Kalipande area, about 600 metres from Chingi Border Post.
In another development, two brothers were last night hit by a motor vehicle as they were riding a motor bike in Chavuma’s Chikanji area.
The duo, who sustained multiple injuries, are admitted to Chavuma Mission Hospital and are responding to treatment.
Meanwhile, Chavuma District Commissioner, Lawrence Kayumba, urged the police in the district to deal with motorists operating without driving licences.
Mr Kayumba was speaking shortly after visiting the two accident victims at the mission hospital.
He also urged motorists in the area, which has recorded an increase in a fleet, to avoid over-speeding and observe all traffic rules.