SafariBookings.com conducted an in-depth analysis of 3,061 reviews of safari tourists and acclaimed experts and concluded that both have voted Tanzania as the best safari country of Africa.
Over the past two years a distinctive SafariBookings taskforce searched for those who have been on safari and invited them to write a review. As a result, over 1,000 people from 53 nationalities wrote more than 2,300 user reviews.
To complement these user reviews, reputable guidebook authors -working for Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Frommer’s, Bradt and Footprint- teamed up in the SafariBookings Expert Panel and wrote 756 expert reviews.
The overall average rating of Tanzania in both the user and expert reviews is 4.8 out of 5 stars: the highest score of all 8 major safari countries.
Why is Tanzania such a great safari destination?
- Superb wildlife viewing in top-class parks. Two are Unesco World Heritage Sites.
- The annual great migration where over 2.5 million wildebeest and zebra migrate from Serengeti National Park in Tanzania to Masai Mara National Reserve in Kenya.
- Authentic African wilderness with unfenced parks, dirt roads and endless plains.
- A wide range of budget, mid-range and luxury safari options.
- Beach holiday extensions on Zanzibar Island, including kite-surfing.
- Best chimp tracking of Africa in Gombe- and Mahale Mountains National Park.
- Extend your safari holiday by climbing Africa’s highest mountain; Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Direct flights from abroad make the northern and southern safari circuits easily accessible.
- Politically stable and generally safe country.
Ratings for the 8 major safari countries
4.84/5(Experts: 4.85/5 – Users: 4.84/5)
4.75/5(Experts: 4.70/5 – Users: 4.79/5)
4.66/5(Experts: 4.50/5 – Users: 4.83/5)
4.58/5(Experts: 4.56/5 – Users: 4.60/5)
- 5.South Africa
4.55/5(Experts: 4.33/5 – Users: 4.77/5)
4.54/5(Experts: 4.38/5 – Users: 4.70/5)
4.16/5(Experts: 3.88/5 – Users: 4.44/5)
4.14/5(Experts: 4.00/5 – Users: 4.28/5)
When looking at the ratings above it can be concluded that all 8 countries are excellent safari destinations as they all have a rating of 4 stars and up. In general the experts were more critical than normal safari tourists, which is to be expected as they have visited far more countries and parks and have a better sense of what’s on offer. Of the user reviews 42% came from first time safari goers and, in general, they are more easily impressed.