PF youths query ECZ

2
PF Cadres

PATRIOTIC Front (PF) youths on the Copperbelt have joined Transparency International Zambia (TIZ) in demanding to know why the Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) has not barred candidates whose election was nullified from re-contesting their seats in by-elections.
The provision is contained in section 22 of the Electoral Act number 12 of 2006. The Act says candidates found guilty of engaging in corruption or illegal activities during elections should not re-contest their seats.
This is contained in a statement released in Lusaka yesterday.
On Tuesday, TIZ wrote to the ECZ demanding to know why it was allowing candidates whose seats had been nullified to participate in the by-elections.
Copperbelt PF youth secretary Chanda Kabwe says the youths find it strange that the ECZ has raised a lot of dust on the PF political advertisement during the Chipata Central by-election.
Mr Kabwe said the party believes it is a serious oversight by the ECZ to allow the opposition to adopt candidates whose elections were nullified because of malpractices.
“The re-election of Mtolo Phiri is questionable and this further means the ECZ cannot allow Dora Siliya and Maxwell Mwale to re-contest their seats in the forthcoming by-elections,” Mr Kabwe said.
He appealed to the ECZ to be impartial in administering elections in the country and not allow partisan inclinations.
The ECZ has recently come under criticism from the PF for condemning the appearance of Paramount Chief Mpezeni at a rally addressed by President Sata during the campaigns.
The MMD won the Chipata Central seat.
But the ECZ recently said a mere nullification of a seat does not stop a candidate from re-contesting it unless that person has been convicted by a court of law.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY