Days before his 92nd birthday, Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has been admitted to a London hospital for exploratory surgery on Friday following “abdominal investigations,” the royal household said, without offering more details.
The prince attended a routine summer garden party with the queen at Buckingham Palace in central London on Thursday and media reports said he appeared relaxed, chatting to guests, making jokes and offering no indication that he was about to be hospitalized.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said the operation would be conducted under a general anesthetic and the prince was expected to remain in hospital for about two weeks. He is to celebrate his 92nd birthday on Monday. The surgery had been planned in advance and the prince was in “very good health,” the statement said.
The news raised some alarms, however, following a series of health worries surrounding the queen and her husband.
READ MORE ON Prince Philip Enters Hospital in London for Surgery